Skip to content

Posts tagged ‘error’

The Web Runs on Flash

Flash technology has become seemingly ubiquitous over the past several years. It has truly become a platform that extends beyond animation, movie players and interactive games. This became very apparent to me yesterday when I finally broke down and spent an hour troubleshooting why I could not install the Flash 10 player upgrade. Every time I tried, I got “error opening file for writing npswf32.dll”. This was terribly puzzling as I had closed all browser windows, exited TweetDeck (runs on Adobe Air) and went through my system notification tray and closed down everything that could imaginably use Flash.

What I did not close was Google Talk – which evidently relies on the Flash Platform to interact with Gmail, Gtalk, Google Calendar, etc. I realized this after I forcibly uninstalled Flash and rebooted my machine (instructions and un-install package can be found here). Upon restarting my machine to complete the uninstall, I got an error from the Google Talk client. Fortunately, all is now well with the world and I am enjoying sites that employ features found in Flash 10.

At this point, I’m wondering if Adobe is a victim of their own success. If you Google this problem, you will find countless forums where people are complaining about not being able to install due to the npswf32.dll file being locked or in use. The ability to upgrade your software easily in the field is definitely something to think about early in the design process if you are designing something that has to be installed on client machines in the wild. 

 

Lotus Connections – A profile does not exist for this person

A strange error started occuring in our deployment of Lotus Connections a month or so back. The business card functionality started showing the error "A profile does not exist for this person". It was interesting because you could be sitting on one of the affected users' profiles, initiate the business card popup and still receive this error.

Turns out that if any part of the JSON processing fails, this is the error you get. It may be that a profile was truly not found, or it may be that something invalid was returned. In our case, a field that was included on the business card contained an apostrophe – and the apostrophe was not escaped or URL encoded, so it was terminating a string prematurely. Once I put code in to begin encoding the apostrophe all was fine.

  • Recent Tweets…